The only thing spreading faster than the coronavirus (COVID-19) is the news coverage. Reports about the stock market, air travel, hygiene concerns, mortality rate, and faulty screening equipment are popping up multiple times a day. Commentators spar about how serious this is, leaving many viewers with a sense of uncertainty about what’s really taking place.
To address the growing concerns, I have spent the last few days speaking with doctors, professionals, and people living in the epicenters in both North America and Asia. I wanted to find out for myself what’s really going on, what precautions we should take, and how Christians can pray.
The message I came away with is that you and I must find strength in God’s Word, the power of prayer, and the arms of Christ. You can click here to listen to the interviews. In the space below, I’ve listed a timeline that will be updated periodically with new bullet points covering relevant updates regarding the coronavirus.
[ Click here to view an interactive map by John Hopkins showing live updates of global cases as they are confirmed. ]
It is my hope that you will use this page to get a concise understanding of what we know so far. But I also hope you will use this as a springboard for prayer. Remember, Christians are not called to have a spirit of fear, but a spirit of faith (see 1 Timothy 1:7).
April 2, 2020
- Confirmed cases surpass 1 million on the same day the death toll climbed past 50,000 worldwide. 200,000+ have recovered.
- According to new findings by MIT researcher Lydia Bourouiba, COVID-19 could be much more contagious than previously thought. On today’s update, Charles Morris discusses the implications for Christians.
April 1, 2020
- More than 1,000 New York police officers test positive for COVID-19.
- 60 second “Faith (Not Fear) Update” — Today Charles turns his attention to the good that’s being done in Jesus’ name.
- Charles Morris turns his attention back to the first US coronavirus hotbed and speaks with two elder care workers in Seattle.
March 30, 2020
March 27, 2020
- U.S. House of Representatives approve $2 trillion economic stimulus bill. President Trump signs the bill on the same day.
- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced he has tested positive for COVID-19.
March 26, 2020
- Deaths in the U.S. pass 1,000 on the same day the United States also surpasses China for the most confirmed coronavirus cases.
- Former CDC doctor and pastor Stephen Ko rejoins Haven Today to give an update on the coronavirus from New York City.
March 25, 2020
- U.S. Congress and White House settle on a $2 trillion economic stimulus bill in an attempt to stave off recession, offering cash assistance to regular Americans and businesses.
- Italy continues to be the current epicenter of the pandemic. Spain trails shortly behind. About half of confirmed cases in the U.S. are located in New York.
- According to Johns Hopkins, there are 466,955 confirmed cases worldwide, more than 21,000 deaths, and 113,770 recoveries.
March 24, 2020
- The 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo are officially postponed to 2021 to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
March 23, 2020
- The 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo will be postponed to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- A Christian infectious disease expert and bio-tech CEO joins Charles Morris on today’s program to talk about the Coronavirus Pandemic, how viruses like this function, what we can expect in the future, and how we can ultimately put our hope in Christ. Listen to the full interview here.
March 20, 2020
- New York, California, and Illinois are now telling all non-essential workers to stay home.
- Confirmed cases in the U.S. pass 16,000.
March 19, 2020
- Italy records 627 deaths in 24 hours, making it the the most COVID-19 related deaths for the country in a single day. Italy has now surpassed China for most known deaths, totaling 3,405 killed out of 41,035 known infections (8.3%).
March 18, 2020
- U.S. Navy hospital ships deploy to New York and West Coast to relieve the burden on local medical facilities. Rather than treating COVID patients, these ships will serve people needing other necessary medical interventions.
- The U.S.-Canadian border is temporarily closed to all non-essential travel.
- Missionary and pastor Michael Brown joins Haven Today to report on life and ministry in Milan, which is at the center of Italy’s coronavirus outbreak.
March 17, 2020
- All 50 states in the U.S. now report at least one confirmed case of the virus. South America reports more than 1,000 cases.
- The U.S. death toll hit 114, with more than 7,900 killed worldwide.
March 16, 2020
- The White House calls on all Americans to avoid gatherings of 10 or more people for the next 15 days.
- As of this morning, the U.S. death toll rose to 69, with more than 3,800 known cases as of Monday morning. The global deaths surged past 6,500.
- Haven Today begins a new series in response to the worsening Coronavirus pandemic that looks to answer the tough question, “Where is God when it hurts?”
March 13, 2020
- President Trump declares national emergency in the U.S.
- The sporting world is canceling/postponing events, including the the Boston Marathon, the golf Players Tournament in the Masters, and NCAA March Madness.
- Churches in areas with larger outbreaks are either cancelling services or are moving to a live-feed delivery of the worship service.
- Dr. Ted Fenske joins Haven Today to share some updates about the virus and how we can share our hope with those who are afraid today.
March 12, 2020
- Sally Lloyd-Jones joins Haven Today to talk about the coronavirus outbreak in New York City and how to teach kids about how to handle fear.
March 11, 2020
- The World Health Organization announced the coronavirus outbreak can now be characterized as a pandemic.
- There are now more than 1,000 confirmed cases in the U.S. and at least 38 deaths cased by the virus.
- Italy has the biggest coronavirus outbreak outside China, with more than 600 dead and 10,000 infected. Pastor Andrea joins Haven Today to discuss what it’s like to lead a church in Italy as the situation continues to worsen.
March 10, 2020
- More than 4,000 people have been killed by the coronavirus, out of 116,000 infections. Johns Hopkins reports more than 64,000 people with confirmed infections have fully recovered.
March 9, 2020
- Trading halts Monday morning as the stock market continues to plummet due to coronavirus fears and low oil prices. The DOW plunged about 2,000 points. Experts suggest this trend may lead to another recession.
- The Diamond Princess cruise ship docks off California coast in Port of Oakland. Thousands of passengers prepare to disembark. The nearly 1,000 crew members will be quarantined on board.
March 6, 2020
- Cases worldwide top 100,000.
- President Trump approves $8.3 billion spending package to combat worldwide spread of coronavirus.
- Even as cases increase, so do the recoveries. At least 15 of confirmed coronavirus patients in the U.S. are said to have fully recovered.
March 5, 2020
- The death toll in the U.S. passes 11.
- COVID-19 is now present in 80 countries and territories, the global death toll rising past 3,000 people.
March 4, 2020
- Haven Today interrupts regular programing to immediately respond to news of the growing outbreak, running a three-day series interviewing doctors, professionals, and people living in the epicenters in both North America and Asia.
February 26, 2020
- The CDC announces the first case of coronavirus contracted from an unknown origin.
February 14, 2020
- Passengers testing negative are allowed to disembark the Diamond Princess.
February 10, 2020
- 43,000+ cases are reported with the death toll passing 1,000.
February 4, 2020
- 10 people infected with the virus are found aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship off the coast of Japan, leading to the 3,500 passenger vessel to be placed under quarantine.
January 30, 2020
- The U.S. reports the first person-to-person transmission.
- The WHO announces this is now a Public Health Emergency of International Concern.
January 21, 2020
- The first case is discovered in the U.S.
January 16, 2020
- The first case is discovered in Japan.
January 11, 2020
- The first death is reported in Wuhan.
January 7, 2020
- Chinese authorities confirm the identification of a novel coronavirus as the cause of the unknown pneumonia cases in Wuhan.
December 31, 2019
- The WHO receives word that cases of pneumonia are springing up in Wuhan, China.
Praying for our Heavenly Father to watch over us and help us remain calm and trusting in Him during this time.
May we all remember to pray for everyone and continue to grow in our faith. Please make us stronger for those who don’t know you Father. Please use us to let others turn to Jesus Christ.
Yes..We must Trust in the Lord with all our hearts and lean not unto our own Understanding, but in all way acknowledge him (Christ) and he shall direct our path..We have an Awesome God who knows exactly what he is doing and why so we as Born Again Christian’s who Love him with all our hearts and minds and soul must keep out eyes on Jesus..The Author and finisher of our Faith..In Jesus name we ask and we pray and above all praying for others to be Saved..
Lord Jesus, we love You, we adore You and we praise You for Your glory, I give You thanks for giving me another day to be here with my family. I pray Lord Jesus for a cure for this virus that has caused so many lives. Bring this deadly virus to an end. Thank You Lord. Amen
1 Trackback or Pingback